Category Archives: SCVMM 2012

SCOM: Exporting and Importing User Roles

I came across a great article by Jimmy Harper on how to export and import SCOM user roles and notifications. I’ve dealt with migrating notifications in the past but it is refreshing to see that a method exists which allows the same to be done for user roles. It certainly makes working with side-by-side deployments that little bit easier.

Article and Method.



SCOM / SCVMM: PRO group names contain Chinese characters in System Center Operations Manager

If you have integrated SCOM 2012 and SCVMM 2012 and are using the PRO management packs you may have noticed some groups containing Chinese characters.

In an English-language version of Microsoft System Center 2012, you connect Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) to Operations Manager. However, group names in the Performance and Resource Optimization (PRO) management packs contain Chinese characters.

Cause: This behavior occurs because the LanguageCode option for the management group is not set in the Operations Manager database. Therefore, when a management pack contains multiple languages, its display names appear in the last language that is included.

Microsoft has published a KB article with the solution to this issue.


SCVMM2012 Issue when trying to remove a VMWare vCenter

Recently I experienced an issue with SCVMM 2012 where I needed to remove a vCenter which exists at a remote site.

Trying to remove the server from the console caused VMM to try and perform an inventory update before removing the server which resulted in this error, due to the inventory job taking quite some time to complete:

Error : Unable to perform the job because one or more of the selected objects are locked by another job.

To find out which job is locking the object, in the Jobs view, group by Status, and find the running or canceling job for the object. When the job is complete, try again.

After trying several methods with no success, including powershell, I tried a last ditch attempt before resigning myself to Microsofts solution which is rather extreme.

I ended up requesting the VMware admin remove the access for my SCVMM run as account, which caused the inventory to fail immediatly and not lock the objects. This enabled me to remove the vCenter without resorting to drastic measures.

I did later come across another solution which is unsupported

Hopefully Microsoft will provide a better solution for this issue in the future.