Monthly Archives: November 2013

SCOM: Active Directory Management Pack 6.0.8228.0

Just a quick note on the new AD management pack that was released with the 2012 R2 wave.

I noticed when using the console to check management pack versions and selecting “Show me updates for management packs I currently have installed” that the 6.0.8228.0 version of the AD management pack does not appear. This particular environment was SCOM 2007 R2 CU6

Has anyone else experienced this? Leave a comment.

SCOM: Windows 2008 also running monitors for Windows 2003, Orphaned class

Now here’s something you certainly don;t see every day. It all started when I was asked to investigate a flood of memory alerts for a particular server at one of my customers. When I opened Health Explorer I noticed the following:

The server was running the monitors for Windows 2008 and Windows 2003.

HExpl double monitors
As it turns out the server had been recently re-installed from 2003 to 2008 with the same name, without the agent being uninstalled or being removed from the console. This caused a bit of confusion in the back-end. A quick look at the Windows Server 2003 Operating System Inventory showed another server which was “Upgraded” i in the same fashion:

2003 OS edt
What’s happened here is the class for Windows Server 2003 Operating System is still being loaded by the agent, and this is causing all of the related rules and monitors to load as well. In the past when I’ve come across this particular issue I’ve been able to solve it with the remove-disabledmonitoringobject powershell cmdlet. 
All that you need to do is override the discovery rule in question to false for your object (In this case “Discover Windows Server 2003 Operating System) and then open OpsMgr Shell and run remove-disabledmonitoringobject. After a short delay the offending objects are removed.

However in this case the above did not work, eventually I deleted the agent from the console, waited for grooming to run (you can force it if you are in a hurry), cleared the local agent cache and then approved the agent. Now only the correct objects are being discovered.